America’s founding fathers signed The Declaration of Independence in the then-burgeoning city of Philadelphia. A city of 1.6 million in 2023, Philly is a center of American culture and commerce.
Within 250 miles of Pennsylvania’s largest city live more than 56 million Americans. Its metro area is home to over 6 million.
Philadelphia’s impressive skyline is a tribute to the importance of this Mid-Atlantic economic hub. The advantageous location of the city between other important metro areas on the East Coast have given rise to substantial clusters in financial services, medical, bio-tech, IT, logistics and even old-fashioned manufacturing.
- 675,000 jobs in Philadelphia projected by 2035
- Comcast, Aramark, Pep Boys, Urban Outfitters, and Independence Blue Cross all have headquarters in Philadelphia
- Over 20 colleges and universities are located in Philadelphia proper, including 5 medical schools
- Siemens Healthineers and Boeing Rotorcraft Systems have headquarters in Philadelphia suburbs
- Port of Philadelphia is over 300 years old
- Its metro area is home to over 6 million
Metro Size: 6,245,051
GDP Per Capita: $66,941
Cost of Living: 78.49
Area: 142.7 mi2
Elevation: 39 ft
Time Zone: Eastern